As part of our mission statement, Greater Birmingham RPVCs have working with local schools on map projects for over 15 years. The National Peace Corps Association highlighted our projects in a 2014 blog post, Peace Corps 360: Bringing a Service Project Back to the United States.
Click here for directions on how to complete a map project in your community.
Other resources include this webinar by RPCV Karmie Johnson about how to do a map project (November 16, 2016).
And look at this! GBRPCV is Peace Corps famous! Peace Corps has a whole toolkit for map projects based on what we do!
Here is a list of our map projects to date:
- Wylam School (Late 1990s)
- Wilson Elementary School (2001)
- Whatley Elementary School (2003)
- Gibson Elementary School (2004)
- Africa only, at EPIC Elementary School (2005)
- Brighton Elementary School, plus one that went to Japan (2006)
- North Shelby Library (2007)
- Camp McDowell (2010)
- Central Park (2011)
- Minor Community School (2012)
- Adamsville Elementary School (2013)
- West Jefferson Elementary School (2014)
- BAMA Kids AfterSchool Program in Camden, AL (2015)
- Norwood Elementary School (2016)
- Holy Family Cristo Rey School (2017)
- Girls, Inc. of Central Alabama in Birmingham, AL (2018)
- WJ Christan School in Birmingham, AL (2019)